Thursday, July 21, 2011

How to smoke a Mackerel ?

Here we go, the important part about smoking fish is to catch it first, or in my case, I was lucky and my neighbor did that part for me last weekend.

First you need to clean your fish, than you need to built a smoker. There are different methods how to build one, i describe the recycling method i used. I had 2 old BBQ grills, both broken, but together they make a good team now, as you can see here on the picture:














I just hanged the fish with some old hooks on top of the construction. I recommend to use a iron chain ore something, not just normal fishing line, since the line could melt and your fish ends up in the fire.

Speaking of fire, thats the last thing you want, you need a bit of heat, but what you want is smoke. Best results you get from wood of the beech tree.


20 minutes with low heat, under the wet towel in the smoke,
and you will see how good the Mackerel will taste.
Just yummy !

I will blog soon how to make a nice Salad out of a smoked Mackerel, my friend got a great recipe there. Smoked fish can be stored at least a week in the fridge, if it is vacuumed even longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment