Saturday, August 6, 2011

West Corks 3 legged pig

My butcher was right, a baby pig wouldnt have been enough for 20 people and a lot of waste would have been produced, and a 20 kg pig would have left me with too much leftovers.

So, what I put on the BBQ last weekend was a leg of an adult pig, around 5-10kg heavy.

To make sure the pork will be tender I started at 10 am in the morning with making fire, and getting the coal ready.

After 1 hour the fire was at a level that I could but the leg on. It was still pretty hot the fire, so I used gloves to touch the grill and the leg itself.

First I gave it a nice burn on all sides, to ensure the juice stays inside, to seal the meat. After i turned it every 30 Minutes over the grill.
I used about 12 kg of coal, over 6 hours on the BBQ. (Advised are 12 hours for teh ultimate result)
The last 2 hours i covered it up and made sure that the pork gets smoked through well.

I messured with a thermometer the meat from time to time, it should have 170 F or 90 C inside.

I was a bit nervous, since that leg was the only source of meat for the BBQ I organized, so if this would have failed, my guests would have starved a bit. My aupair made a very nice potato salad to go with the pork.

I can proudly say, it was a sucess, the pork was easly to cut, cooking an preparation time was easy, I can recommend anybody for a party that style for BBQs.

I also need to say a word of thanks to Mike, who gave me free advise and a taste of his BBQ seasoning. Check out his Shop or website here in Clon, the best choice for your next company BBQ.

The only Questions which remains, where in West Cork can the poor 3 legged pig now be found ?

No comments:

Post a Comment