Friday, February 22, 2013

How much Beef cuts are there ?

Because of the recent scandal in processed beef in Europe I had a discussion with my friend Bas about what food is being presented to us in a whole piece, what is minced up, or thrown away.

Well I am not a butcher, but I did some research on the topic, as did my friend Bas, and Board Bia here in Ireland for example promotes on their website 14 beef cuts, as shown above. On their website you can learn more about each cut and how its used in cooking.

Looking a bit further, to France for example, they promote 33 cuts, not counting the tongue and cheeks (thanks for pointing that out Bas). In my old home Austria, the Austrian Meat Marketing agency promotes the Viennese style of cuts which adds up to 25 cuts.

I wonder, how come there is not more on offer in Ireland, what happens to the rest, is it all just minced up ?
Maybe an expert can let me know ?


No comments:

Post a Comment