Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Krampus day !


Its Krampus Day today in Austria, the most feared day by children. If you have been nasty, the Krampus (in Germany known as Knecht Ruprecht) will give you a beating. Normally a few of this guys accompany Nikolaus on the 6th of December in a big parade. On the 5th and all December this guys are around to make sure bad childrens and adults get scared and behave better the next year.

Traditionally the Krampus (Perchte) was created to get rid of bad spirits of the winter, to scare them away. Now in modern days most wooden made masks look more like the devil than the traditional ones I prefer. Anyone with a plastic mask that day should get an extra beating in my opinion.

Anyway, when I was a child I had much respect of this guys, when I became older I used to wear the family mask which was passed down generations and is in the family for more than 100 years.
I think its a fun tradition and I miss it a lot. Well, maybe next year I can spend some time home and visit this event and visit some Christkindl Markets as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment