Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Recipe: Sweet Potato Gnocchi in Tomato Sauce


A recipe I wanted to try for a long time is sweet potato Gnocchi . I found several recipes on-line but all contained peanut butter for the sauce, or almonds. Since I am allergic to nuts I needed to modify the recipes to be able to enjoy it myself.

To be honest, I didn't like the result, maybe because the Austrian version of Gnocchi is fried, and not boiled in butter.

My wife and my au pair however loved it, so here it comes, my simplified recipe.

Ingredients:
1 kg sweet potato
1 egg
250 gram plain flour
250 ml water
pinch of nutmeg
pinch of salt

for sauce:
tomato chopped
garlic fine chopped
honey
1 onion fine chopped
1-2 teaspoon of sugar

heat your oven to 200 degree C and cut the potatoes in slices as shown on the picture above.With a bit of oil place them in the oven so they get soft. In meantime prepare the sauce. Chop onion and a toe of garlic and fry them in a pot. Once nice roasted add the sugar, than the chopped tomatoes. (you can use the ones out of the tin) Add a spoon of honey and salt to taste. bring to boil and than keep it warm. Making the sauce really depends on the taste you like to have, you can vary this.

Remove the potato from the oven, they should be easy to skin now, than using a blender make a smooth paste, add the water, flour, nutmeg, salt and egg and mix well. I used a kitchen machine but you can do it also with your hands. You should get a sticky dough.
Bring a put of water with a pinch of salt to cook. Using 2 spoons you form little dumplings which you let fall into the boiling water. Once they are cooked they rise up to the surface.Keep them warm untill you have made all, than serve with the tomato sauce you made.

Voila, Sweet Potato Gnocchi. A lovely vegetarian dish witch tastes good according to my wife.
I will soon try the fried version and will let you know if I liked that better.

No comments:

Post a Comment